Web GIS, Cartography and Geoviusalization, Humanistic GIS
- The social implications of mapping, geovisualization and/or other forms of geospatial technologies.
- The study of different spoofing phenomena in geography towards a post-truth reflection on the value of geospatial technologies.
- The geovisualization and geo-narrative of the coupled human and natural system (e.g., climate change, water use, coastal hazards, etc.).
- GeeViz - Geovisual Analytical Toolkit for Google Earth Engine
- NeoCarto - a web platform of geovisual modules
- Non-resident Research Fellow, Harvard University, Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation, 2018
- PostDoc., Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government (also affiliated to Center for Geographic Analysis), 2016
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University, Geography, 2015
- M.S., Nanjing University, Cartography & GIS, 2008
- B.S. Honors, Nanjing University, GIS, 2006
- Chen, Z., D. Chen, N. Cheng, Y. Zhuang, M.P. Kwan, B. Chen, B. Zhao, et al. Evaluating the Recent 2+26 Regional Strategy for Air Quality Improvement During Two Orange Air Pollution Alerts in Beijing: variations of PM2.5 concentrations, source apportionment, and the relative contribution of local emission and regional transport. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. doi: 10.5194/acp-2018-1085
- Zhang, S., B. Zhao, and J. Ventrella. Towards an archaeological-ethnographic approach to big data: Rethinking Data Veracity. The 2018 Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings. doi: 10.1111/1559-8918.2018.01197
- Chen X., L Zou, and B. Zhao. Detecting climate change deniers on Twitter using a deep neural network. International Conference on Machine Learning and Computing (ICMLC 2019) proceeding, Zhuhai, China, Feb 22-24, 2019.
- C. Xu, B. Zhao. Satellite Image Spoofing: Creating Remote Sensing Dataset with Generative Adversarial Networks (Short Paper). In LIPIcs-Leibniz International Proceedings in Informatics (Vol. 114). Schloss Dagstuhl-Leibniz-Zentrum fuer Informatik: doi: 10.4230/LIPIcs.GISCIENCE.2018.67
- Y. Fan, S. Chen, B. Zhao, S. Yu, H. Ji, C. Jiang. Monitoring tidal flat dynamics affected by human activities along an eroded coast in the Yellow River Delta, China. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 190 (7). doi: 10.1007/s10661-018-6747-7.
- B. Zhao, X. Huang, D. Sui. Place spoofing: A case study of the xenophilic copycat community in Beijing, China. The Professional Geographer. 70(4): 1-13. doi:10.1080/00330124.2018.1501711
- B. Zhao, S. Zhang. Rethinking spatial data quality: Pokémon Go as a case study of location spoofing. The Professional Geographer 70(3):1-13. doi: 10.1080/00330124.2018.1479973
- Y. Fan, S. Chen, B. Zhao, S. Pan, C. Jiang and H. Ji. Shoreline dynamics of the active Yellow River delta since the implementation of Water-sediment regulation scheme: A remote-sensing and statistics-based approach. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. doi: 10.1016/j.ecss.2017.11.035
- D. Sui, B. Zhao, H. Kong. The Development of Copycat Towns in China: An Initial Analysis of Their Economic, Social, and Environmental Implications. Lincoln Institute of Land Policy. WP17DS1
- B. Zhao and Q. Chen. Location Spoofing in a Location-Based Game: A Case Study of Pokémon Go. Lecture Notes Geoinformation, Cartography, Michael P. Peterson (Ed.): Advances in Cartography and GIScience. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-57336-6_2
- B. Zhao and D. Z. Sui. True lies in geospatial big data: detecting location spoofing in social media. Annals of GIS: 1-14. doi: 10.1080/19475683.2017.1280536
- B. Zhao, D.Z. Sui and Z. Li. Visualizing the gay community in Beijing with location-based social media. Environment and Planning A. doi:10.1177/0308518X16685885.
- B. Zhao. Study on the Effects of Human Intention on Spatial Data Quality. International Conference on GIScience Short Paper Proceedings, 1(1). doi: 10.21433/B31180p357ks. Retrieved from: http://escholarship.org/uc/item/80p357ks
- J.C. Liu and B. Zhao. Who speaks for climate change in China? Evidence from Weibo. Climatic Change. doi:10.1007/s10584-016-1883-y
- Y. Li, J Qiu and B. Zhao. Quantifying urban ecological governance: A suite of indices characterizes the ecological planning implications of rapid coastal urbanization. Ecological Indicators. 72 (2017): 225-233
- D.Z. Sui and B. Zhao. GIS as Media through the GeoWeb. In Mediated Geographies and Geographies of Media, eds. S.P. Mains, J. Cupples, and C. Lukinbeal. Springer. Berlin.191-208.
- X. Chen, B. Zhao, and E. Blackard. Unveiling Perceptions of Food Safety Scandals in China: An Exploratory Study with Search Engine. Global Media Journal.
- S.J. Kay, B. Zhao, and D.Z. Sui. Can Social Media Clear the Air? A Case Study of the Air Pollution Problem. The Professional Geographer, 67:3:351-363.
- B. Zhao and D.Z. Sui. True Lies in Big Data: Detecting Location Spoofing based on Geographic Knowledge. In Workshops on Big Data and Urban Informatics, ed. P. Thakuriah. Chicago, IL.
- D.Z. Sui, Z.W. Xu and B. Zhao. Networks in Geography. In R. Alhajj and J. Rokne, Encyclopedia of Social Network Analysis and Mining (ESNAM) Berlin, Springer.
- L.J. Zhang, B. Zhao and D.H. Jiang. Research on the Conversion from CAD to GIS Data. Geomatics Technology and Equipment, 14-17. (In Chinese)
- Z.Y. Chen, M.C. Li and B. Zhao. Geo-Interface - Connecting the Real World with Cyberspace. Science of surveying and mapping, 34. (In Chinese)
- B. Zhao, M.C. Li and Z.X. Jiang. Using GeoRSS to Syndicate the Spatiotemporal Information. Geospatial Information Technology and Applications, Proc. SPIE 6754, 675428.
- B. Zhao, X.M. Huang and G.P. Wu. OGC Web Services Based on Ajax Engine. Geospatial Information Technology, Proc. SPIE 6421, 64210R.
- X.M. Huang and B. Zhao. SVG based Remote Sensing Visualization. Remotely Sensed Data and Information,Proc. SPIE 6419, 64191N.
- B. Zhao. An Introduction to UMN MapServer. Software World, 20:48~49. (In Chinese)
- B. Zhao and J.Z. TAN. A Research on Linear Elements Smoothing in the MapInfo. Bulletin of Surveying and Mapping, 6:25~27. (In Chinese)
- B. Zhao and J.S. MA. Design of XML based Geo Data Model. Geomatics Technology and Equipment, 1:9~12. (In Chinese)