Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=YurEjvYAAAAJ&view_op=list_works
My overall scientific interest is to better understand the cycling of natural organic matter in the earth's surface, mainly in aquatic environments such as oceans, estuaries, rivers, groundwater, and lakes. A key objective of my research is to elucidate the role that organic matter plays on the global biogeochemical cycles of major elements (e.g., carbon, oxygen, nitrogen). Specific areas of my on-going research include:
- Understanding the processes controlling organic matter cycling in river-dominated ocean margins, including deltas and estuaries.
- Investigating the factors that control the generation and export of organic matter from the surface ocean and its transport, cycling and preservation in marine sediments.
- Reconstructing the sources and compositions of organic matter in sediments over glacial - interglacial scales.
- Assessing the role of natural organic matter on the behavior of particle reactive contaminants in coastal environments.
- Developing and applying novel analytical techniques including organic biomarkers and stable isotopes for the study of organic matter in the ocean.
My group is currently working on investigating the sources, transport and fate of organic matter in coastal environments, including tropical, temperate and Arctic margins. On going field programs include work along the Pacific Northwest Margin of the US, the Bering, Chukchi and Beaufort Seas, and the Gulf of Papua (Papua New Guinea). We are working with collaborators at OSU and other instituitions to understand the fluxes and transformations of organic matter in the water column and sediments from these sytems and assess how climatic and oceanographic changes affect their carbon cycle. More information (blogs, photos, videos) of some of our going work can be accessed at these web sites:
Coastal CArbon in Winter off the Oregon Coast - CCAW:
2016 Sikuliaq Expedition - Carbon Cycling in a Dynamic Arctic:
OSU Reserach Highlights - Studying Oregon's Rivers & Estuaries in Winter
BSc oceanography, University of Washington, 1986
PhD oceanography, University of Washington, 1992
Post-Doctoral, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Graduate Courses (OSU)
- OC 507 – Seminar Ocean Ecology and Biogeochemistry
- OC 522 – Ocean Biogeochemical Dynamics
- OC 599 (New Course) – Ocean Biogeochemical Dynamics
- OC 550 – Chemical Oceanography
- OC 656 – Marine Organic Geochemistry
- OC 652 – Chemical Oceanography Lab
Undergraduate Courses (OSU)
- OC 295 – Introduction to Field Oceanography
- OC 103 – Exploring the Deep
- OC 450 (New Course) – Chemical Oceanography (undergraduate course for new major)
- OC 407 - Biogeochemical Oceanography Seminar
- OC 401 – Research Projects
Check a short YouTube movie of the 2015 OC 103 Field Trip
Check out our group's contribution to OSU's Marine Studies Initiative new commercial.
Long version: https://vimeo.com/146855577
Short version: https://vimeo.com/144698147
Most Recent Publications:
- Rushdi, A.I., Simoneit, B.R.T., DouAbul, A.A.Z., Al-Mutlaq, K.F., El-Mubarak, A.H., Qurban, M., Goñi, M.A., (2014) Occurrence and sources of polar lipid tracers in sediments from the Shatt al-Arab River of Iraq and the northwestern Arabian Gulf. Science of the Total Environment, 470-471, 180-192, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2013.09.048.
- Rushdi, AI, DouAbul, AAZ, Simoneit, BRT, El-Mubarak, AH, Al-Mutlaq, KF, Qurban, MAB, Goñi, MA (2014) Nonpolar lipid tracers in sediments from the Shatt al-Arab River of Iraq and the northwestern Arabian Gulf, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 7, 5495-5508, doi 10.1007/s12517-013-1208-7.
- Gray, A., Warrick, J.A., Pasternack, G.B., Watson, E.B., Goñi, M.A. (2014) Suspended sediment behavior in a coastal dry-summer subtropical catchment: Effects of hydrologic preconditions. Geomorphology. 214, 485-501, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2014.03.009.
- Bianchi, T.S., Goñi, M.A., Allison, M.A., Chen, N., McKee, B.A. (2014). Sedimentary carbon dynamics of the Atchafalaya and Mississippi River Delta system and associated margin. In: Biogeochemical Dynamics at Large River-Coastal Interfaces: Linkages with Global Climate Change (Eds. T. Bianchi, M. Allison, W. Cai). Cambridge University Press, pp. 473-502.
- Goñi, M.A., Moore, E., Kurtz A., Portier, E., Alleau, Y., Merrell, D., (2014) Organic matter compositions and loadings in soils and sediments along the Fly River, Papua New Guinea. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta140, 275-296, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2014.05.034.
- Chen, S., Torres, R., Goñi, M.A. (2015) Intertidal zone particulate organic carbon redistribution by low-tide rainfall-runoff. Limnology and Oceanography 60, 1088-1101, doi: 10.1002/lno.10077.
- Winterfeld, M., Goñi, M.A., Just, J., Hefter, J., Mollenhauer, G. (2015) Characterization of particulate organic matter in the Lena River delta and adjacent nearshore zone, NE Siberia – Part 2: Lignin-derived phenol compositions. Biogeosciences12, 2261–2283, doi:10.5194/bg-12-2261-2015.
- Gray A.B, Pasternack, G.B., Watson E.B., Warrick J.A., Goñi, M.A. (2015) Effects of antedecent hydrologic conditions, time dependence, and climate cycles on the suspended sediment load of the Salinas River, California. Journal of Hydrology525, 632-649, doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2015.04.025.
- Gray, A., Pasternack, G.B., Watson, E.B., Warrick, J.A., Goñi, M.A. (2015) The effect of El Niño Southern Oscillation cycles on the decadal scale suspended sediment behavior of a coastal dry-summer subtropical catchment. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 40, 272-284, doi: 10.1002/esp.3627.
- Gray, A.B., Pasternack, G.B., Watson, E.B., Goñi, M.A., Hatten J.A., Warrick, J.A. (2016) Conversion to drip irrigated agriculture may offset historic anthropogenic and wildfire contributions to sediment production. Science of the Total Environment. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.03.018.
- Gray, A.B., Pasternack, G.B., Watson, E.B., Goñi, M.A. (2016) Abandoned channel fill sequences in the tidal estuary of a small mountainous, dry-summer. Sedimentology. DOI: 10.1111/sed.12223
- Chen, S., Goñi, M.A., Torres, R. (2016) The Role of Salt Marsh Structure in the Distribution of Surface Sedimentary Organic Matter. Estuaries and Coasts. DOI: 10.1007/s12237-015-9957-z.
- Hatten J, Goñi M (2016) Cupric Oxide (CuO) Oxidation Detects Pyrogenic Carbon in Burnt Organic Matter and Soils. PLoS ONE 11(3): e0151957. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.015195.
- Benway, H., Alin, S., Boyer, E., Cai, W.-J., Coble, P., Cross, J., Friedrichs, M., Goñi, M., Griffith, P., Herrmann, M., Lohrenz, S., Mathis, J., McKinley, G., Najjar, R., Pilskaln, C., Siedlecki, S., Smith, R. 2016. A Science Plan for Carbon Cycle Research in North American Coastal Waters. Report of the Coastal CARbon Synthesis (CCARS) community workshop, August 19-21, 2014, Ocean Carbon and Biogeochemistry Program and North American Carbon Program, 84 pp.
- Godin,P., Macdonald, R.W., Kuzyk, Z.Z.A., Goñi, M.A., Stern, G. A. (submitted) Organic Matter Compositions and Fluxes of Rivers draining into Hudson Bay: Present Day Trends and Potential as Recorders of Future Climate Change.Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences (submitted). Kuzyk, Z.Z., Gobeil, C., Goñi, M.A., Macdonald R. (in review) Early Diagenesis and Trace Element Accumulation in North American Arctic Margin Sediments.Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta(in review).
- Chen, S., Torres, R., Goñi, M.A. (submitted) Biogeochemical characteristics and fluxes of suspended particulate organic matter in response to low-tide rainfall. Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences (submitted).